Begin Farming Ohio

USDA Helps Retiring Farmers Transition their Land to Beginning Farmers

Filed under: Farmland, Finances — posted by Sharon at Begin Farming Ohio on June 14, 2010 at 11:17 am

The Transition Incentive Program (TIP) is a recently announced USDA program implemented by the Farm Service Agency (FSA). The Program provides annual rental payments for up to two additional years after the date of the expiration of a farmer’s Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) contract, provded the transition is not to a family member. The objective of the program is to transition expiring CRP land from a retired or retiring owner or operator to a beginning or socially disadvantaged farmer to return land to production for sustainable grazing or crop production. Enrollment in TIP is on a continuous basis and enrollment can begin one year before the expiration date of a CRP contract. For a Fact Sheet on TIP go to or visit your county’s  USDA Farm Service Agency which can be located at or call the State office at 614-255-2441.